has FINALLY gotten her yarn (after the post office issues) I feel like now I can post about the process that I went through to dye it.
First, I placed 2 chairs about 10 feet apart and wound the yarn around & around & around & around ............. this was after locking the cats in the laundry room while doing this since 2 of them tried to eat and play with it.
Then I divided into 4 equal sections, dying 2 sections at a time one at each end. I did the darker colors first, Pink Lemonade and Strawberry Kool Aid. I just filled my pots up with water and put in 2 packs of Pink and 1 pack of Strawberry. I only did 1 of the Strawberry since it is kind of dark to begin with. I heated the water up to almost boiling then let it sit for 30 minutes. After it cooled I did the other 2 sections with 4 packs of Lemonade.
I soaked it in my (clean) bathtub in Eucalan,
then hung up to dry as I headed to work!
Then I got ready to wind it up and hank it.
But alas, I didn't really like all that yellow. So off to the store for some Wilton's!!!!! I had never used it but found it very easy to do, plus I added in a little vinegar to set the color. I dyed one section orange and left one yellow section so then it looked like a sunrise, or some sort of summer sorbet.
Then off to the post office to mail it (twice)!!
After the success with the orange Wilton's I thought I would try some blue and orange stripes, but it didn't work out that well. I put half of my yarn in, and then the blue started creeping up the yarn and then it just got kind of weird looking. So after about 15 minutes I just dumped the whole thing in, but I ended up really liking it!!! It was all blue and turquoise, kind of like underwater ocean colors. I gave it to a fellow co-worker that just left to go to another hospital. I wish that I had taken of pic of it reskeined though so that the colors could be seen a little better. Oh well.